There has been much discussion in Australia about using the words Gluten Free on food labelling,
oats are one such product that often comes under scrutiny. Australia has a watchful presence on keeping consumers protected by ensuring inappropriate claims are never made about gluten. WheatFree.com.au have at all times complied with these requirements with particular emphasis and indeed vigilance on the sale of their oats and other products we source for our customers.
The purpose of this clarification is to explain the processes we use to ensure compliance and demonstrate the ethics of our operation.
For 12 years we have operated an online website shop for Australia and New Zealand from our Toowoomba headquarters for the sale of foods to persons with special dietary needs. Over 12000 persons are registered with our websites www.wheatfree.com.au and www.whatcanieat.com.au. Gloriously Free wheat free oats are one product sold on the www.wheatfree.com.au website. They are and will continue to be a favourite with our customers as oats are recognised as a wonderful source of fibre and nutrition. We pride ourselves on our core values of supply of ethical products. Never more has our ethical approach to supply been shown in the quality of the oats we supply to our Australian customers.
Gloriously Free Oats are imported into Australian from an American company called "GF Harvest". "GF Harvest" farms are located in Wyoming USA and are owned by the Smith family. The company’s goal is that all families can find products that are uncontaminated from the gluten found in wheat, rye or barley they can trust. The Smiths know the severe reaction one can have if cross-contaminated with compromised products as three generations of their family have an allergy to wheat, rye or barley and have been on a diet avoiding foods containing these grains since 1990. Their son Forrest, who was diagnosed at age two, became determined as a teenager to develop a safe source of uncontaminated oats. His desire led to an FFA entrepreneur project that became "GF Harvest."
PROCESSES "GF HARVEST" UNDERTAKE IN AMERICA
- The Smiths maintain their own certified planting seed, and personally contract with "Seedsmen" who have not grown any wheat, rye or barley on their land for the last 2 years and
- who use their combines/harvesters for only Oats or alternative non-gluten crops.
- Each field is completely walked at least six times to make sure that no volunteer glutinous products are growing in the field. The fields and all harvesting equipment is inspected by The Smiths and the Wyoming Seed Certification Service to assure they are free of the offending grains. Before any of the oats can be unloaded they must pass 3 tests
2. #2 RidaQuick test down to 5 ppm, and
3. #3 the Elisa R5 RidaScreen test down to 3 ppm).
In addition to their own laboratory testing they also send samples to the University of Nebraska's Food Allergy Research and Resource Program (www.farrp.org) to be tested for gluten to assure the oats are free from contamination by the gluten found in Wheat, Rye or Barley.
Oats are stored, harvested and transported by equipment owned by GF Harvest are cleaned, rolled and packaged in a facility that is certified GF and OU Kosher.
Should you wish to see the processes used for these certification please click any of these links. Our Inspection Process…
- GF Uncontaminated Certification
- Kosher Certification
- Organic Certification
PROCESSES WHEATFREE.COM.AU UNDERTAKE IN AUSTRALIA
1. Upon arrival in Australia, the oats are packaged in full compliance with Australian law. No reference or claim is or ever has been made to Gloriously Free Oats being gluten free by our company. We recognise that Australian packaging laws do not permit the labelling of any oats as "gluten free". This product is labeled differently in other countries including USA, Canada, Finland and Sweden.
2. An independent laboratory tests each batch we import to confirm they are totally uncontaminated from the gluten found in wheat, rye or barley.. We can provide a report from and independent laboratory upon request or Click here to see the most recent report.
3. We still recommend that if you have allergies to gluten containing grains that you seek medical advice before consuming this or any other product related to your dietary needs.
4. We understand that there is a wealth of conflicting information on the internet about oats. We have provided all the information we are able to in this document, in order to comply with Health requirements and labelling laws. We suggest you do your own research.
SO YOU KNOW…Gloriously Free Uncontaminated Oats Allergen Statement
No Artificial colours
NUTRITIONAL PANEL FROM OUR PACKAGING
Gloriously Free Uncontaminated Oats available in 500G and 5KG packs
Fat (Total): 12.5g
Fat (Saturated): 7.5g
Carbohydrates (Total): 67.5g
Carbohydrates (Sugars): 2.5g